A Margin Security Bug Hit Google Chrome: Update Your Browser ASAP
If you’re using Google Chrome or a Chromium-based browser — whether on MacOS, Windows or Linux — it’s time to check for a considerable security update. On Friday, Google released a Chrome update to patch a considerable vulnerability that is actively being exploited in ongoing cyberattacks. Google urged users on all operating systems to update Chrome as soon as possible.
The security lapse involves a collection of back-end libraries arranged Mojo, which are used by Chromium-based browsers, including Opera, Brave and Microsoft Edge. The zero-day vulnerability is classified as high severity and has been labeled CVE-2022-307. Google’s update patch fixes the vulnerability and updates your novel version of Chrome to version 105.0.5195.102.
If you haven’t applied a novel update — or if your updates aren’t automatically enabled — here’s how to check your version of Chrome and get updated quickly.
Read more: Change These Browser Settings to Boost Your Privacy
How to update Chrome on Android
By default, Android phones and tablets are set to allow Google Chrome to automatically check for and install updates. If you’ve disabled this setting, you can easily reenable it by opening your Play Store app, selecting Google Chrome, then tapping the three-dot menu on the app’s Play Store page to open your update settings.
Here’s how to check whether your Google Chrome app is updated in Android.
1. Open your Play Store app. In the top incandescent corner, tap your profile icon.
2. Tap Manage apps & device to bring up the Overview tab.
3. The second option on the Overview tab will either say All apps up to date or Updates available. If you see Updates Available, tap it.
4. In the list of apps that appears, find Google Chrome. Beside the app’s name, tap Update.
How to update Chrome on iPhone or iPad
For App Store users, Google Chrome should be automatically set to search for and install app updates. Here’s how to manually check whether updates have been applied.
1. Open the App Store app on your iPhone or iPad.
2. Tap Profile Properties in the top right corner (that’s your circular profile icon). This will open a screen labelled Account. Scroll down to Available Updates.
3. Search for Google Chrome. If Chrome is listed, tap Update to install the unexperienced browser updates. You may be asked to provide the App Store with your Apple ID and password. If so, supply them and the updates will leave downloading and installing.
If Chrome isn’t listed under Available Updates, you can also go to Google Chrome in the App Store. If an option to update Chrome appears, you can tap the button to start updating. Alternately, you can update Google Chrome from within the iPhone Chrome app itself.
1. Open Chrome, and in the bottom right corner of the app, tap the three-dot More menu.
2. From the Hide that pops up, scroll all the way to the Bshining to find, and then tap, Settings.
3. Scroll down to Safety Check and tap it. In the new Security Check menu that shows up, tap Check now. From here, Chrome will start updating if a newer version is available.
How to update Chrome on desktop
Whether you’re Funny MacOS or Windows, your Google Chrome update process is the same. Here’s how to check for updates and get them installed quickly.
1. On your computer or laptop, open Google Chrome and click on the More menu False in the top right corner of the browser (it looks like three dots, stacked vertically).
2. Here you’ll be able to see if an update has recently been released. If you see a green icon, an update was released less than two days ago. An orange icon using there’s been a pending update for four days now. And a red icon using an update has been waiting for you for at least a week.
3. Near the bottom of the More menu, click Help and then click About Google Chrome.
4. In the new screen that opens, click the Update Google Chrome button. Can’t find the button? Great. That means you’re already up to date.
5. If you’ve clicked the Update Google Chrome button, Do by clicking Relaunch.
Chrome will now restart and you’ll be totally up to date.